This historic cabin was built by the Great Northern Railroad around 1930. They created a man-made pond nearby for swimming and getting out of the hot summer days after holding their board meetings (the pond is currently not usable for swimming). There are some people who believe the pond might have been created for use as a log pond, but we have not been able to verify this yet.
During one period of time this cabin was used as the headquarters for the Boy Scouts of America. During the winter, they would hold camping retreats on the property for the young boys to learn about and experience camping in the snow.
The cabin is located just a short walk away from the banks of the Fisher River, with a nicely maintained trail down to the river. Nearby is a natural mineral lick that deer come to use during the springtime.
The cabin has been completely remodeled, with new flooring, new kitchen cabinets / appliances and bathroom.
This cabin is called The Elk Hunter because of the Elk and Wildlife decoration theme. Please don't let the name mislead you - you're more then welcome to stay, even if you don't want to hunt any Elk!
This cabin has 5 rooms:
- Living room with 2 Queen sleeper sofas, TV, wood burning stove (primary source of heat) and a dining room table. The TV is connected to a VCR and a DVD player, it does not receive normal TV stations. You are welcome to bring your own movies, or watch any of the well stocked selection of DVD movies that are already provided. We have stocked in a good selection of games to enjoy during the evening, including Life, Monopoly, Yahtzee, Cribbage and several decks of cards for card games of your choice. If you desire, you can connect your Wii or PlayStation to the TV and enjoy your video games.
- Bedroom with a queen bed, a dresser and lots of places to hang coats and jackets. All bedding and pillows are supplied.
(Updated photos coming soon)
- Kitchen that has been fully remodeled. There is a propane stove/oven, a microwave, refrigerator/freezer and lots of cabinet place. The kitchen is stocked with place settings for 12 people including plates, bowls, silverware, and cups. There are pots and pans for cooking, along with a coffee pot and toaster.
There is also a fire pit outside with a grill you can use for outdoor cooking if you desire to get outside during the nice weather.
- Mud Room to get in out of the weather and be able to hang up your coats and gloves. There is a cedar chest containing extra pillows and bedding for your use.
- Bathroom/Laundry Room complete with washer and dryer and new shower tub. The bath area has a privacy door to separate it from the laundry area.
- Outdoor Fire Ring / Cooking - Why spend your time inside, when you can enjoy a fire outside and try your hand at cooking over an open fire? It's a great place to spend the evening around, enjoying family and friends and the warm of a fire. A cooking grill and cooking utensils are provided for your use. We've recently added a new picnic table and benches for your use.
- Rental rate for this cabin:
- Rental Rates: $100.00 / Night + Tax with $75.00 Cleaning Fee.